This apartment will be our home for a few more weeks until we move to a longer-term space. Until we get our worldly possessions out of storage, we are living with only the temporary provisions we crammed into the van on our trip to Indiana ... augmented by some necessities borrowed from Jay's generous parents.
Yes, all of our needs and many of our wants are met. We have comfortable (if inflatable!) bedding, a table and chairs that we inherited with the apartment, and a few comfy spots from which we will indulge in Olympic viewing.
Nevertheless, I felt out of sorts this past week. One night during dinner, I realized the problem: I was missing a sense of "normal." This out-of-a-suitcase lifestyle was losing its novelty. As I wiped my hands on a paper towel, I knew exactly what would easy my mind. NAPKINS!
It's the little things that make a house feel like home. For our family, cloth napkins at mealtime are one of those delights that help us know we are ... well ... home. With all our napkins packed up in long-term storage -- along with every shred of fabric and all my sewing tools! -- I got creative. With some entertainingly dull scissors, a cozy flannel sheet from Goodwill, and straight lines measured along our laminate floor ... I got to work.
For the next few days, I always brought my stitching when we went exploring. Little by little, the stitches accumulated.
And now, just one week later, we are feeling more settled. The thrifting has resumed (check out that sweet hand-stitched Holly Hobbie!), the library provides abundant warm-weather diversions, and we now enjoy mealtime with a set of hand-stitched napkins.
Frankly, as long as I'm with my family I feel like I'm home. But you know what? These handmade and vintage comforts certainly help make our home a little bit cozier.
4 comments:
Don't laugh - I brought a set with us on this trip. Crazy, but it just felt right. Love the blue creamer.
I can't believe you moved to Indiana! Good time of year to do so, however. Love the napkins and the creamer ... Sometimes it's the littlest things, isn't it?
Love your napkin in it's cute blue creamer!! How sweet!
We have a hand-stitched Holly Hobby that my Grandma Cozette made me when I was little. I wonder if they're from the same pattern?
Love that cheery red with white. Such a smart idea. And that view while you stitch is FABULOUS!
Post a Comment